“We need prayers; we are working hard on three cases” – Wontumi’s Lawyer ‘begs’

0
20
Lawyer Andy Appiah-Kubi and Chairman Wontumi

The lawyer for the Ashanti Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Bernard Antwi Boasiako, commonly known as Chairman Wontumi, Andy Appiah Kubi has called on the public for prayers as they work on the cases filed against his client.

According to Wontumi’s Lawyer, Andy Appiah Kubi, the first thing they need is prayers while they work on three cases against his clients.

STOP THAT SCAMMER Verify Numbers on TrustGH

Andy Appiah Kubi disclosed that his client has made himself available to the prosecution and that they will present their case so everyone can be heard before a final verdict is delivered.

Speaking to journalists at the Accra High Court ahead of proceedings, Appiah-Kubi stated, “We need prayers. We have been working hard on these three cases. This case of Exim Bank has been adjourned for a month to allow the prosecution to prepare the document”.

“We are fine except that prayers are necessary”, he added.

Wontumi’s lawyer further explained that one of the cases involving the EXIM Bank had been adjourned for about a month to allow prosecutors time to prepare.

His comments follow, Chairman Wontumi being slapped with fresh charges over a GH¢14.3M Exim Bank loan case.

Wontumi has been slapped with fresh charges, including defrauding by false pretence.

Wontumi, Thomas Antwi-Boasiako (at large) and Wontumi Farms Limited are facing four counts of charges per the charge sheet filed on Friday, May 15, 2026.

The charge sheet filed on Friday, May 15, 2026, signed by Deputy Attorney General Dr Justice Srem-Sai, detailed that “Chairman Wontumi is personally facing three of the four counts of the charge of defrauding by false pretence, contrary to Section 131 of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29); uttering of a forged document, contrary to Section 169 of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29); and money laundering, contrary to Section 1(2)(c) of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2020 (Act 1044)”.

“Together with Thomas Antwi-Boasiako and Wontumi Farms Limited, they are facing the charge of intentionally causing financial loss to a public body, contrary to Section 179A(2) of the Criminal Offences Act, 1960 (Act 29)”, Starr FM stated.

It will be recalled that Chairman Wontumi and other persons are standing trial for allegedly undertaking mining operations on a concession at Samreboi in the Western Region without the consent of the sector minister.

The state has also accused Wontumi of permitting two individuals to undertake mining activities on the concession without authority and facilitating those operations.

He is also standing trial for mining in the Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve.

Edward Akuoko, a former General Manager of Akonta Mining, has told the High Court in Accra that Bernard Antwi Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi, instructed them to mine in the Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve.

According to Edward Akuoko, testifying as the first prosecution witness, he disclosed that instructed them despite the absence of the required mining permits.

Reports by Starr FM read, “In his witness statement, adopted by the court on Thursday, April 30, 2026, Ekuoko said Chairman Wontumi (the second accused) instructed them to carry out mining operations in the forest reserve.

“After some months, A2 asked us to move into another area to continue our mining,” he told the court.

“That area was in the Aowin District, near Enchi, in the Western North Region. It was a forest reserve—the Tano Nimiri Forest Reserve.”

Ekuoko said he questioned the legality of the directive.

“I knew from experience that we required permits and licences to mine in such areas. I asked A2 whether we had that authorisation, since I did not intend to do anything illegal,” he said.

According to him, Chairman Wontumi assured him that approval had been secured.

“He told me to proceed, saying he had spoken with the then Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, and that the Minister was aware.”

Ekuoko said he later discovered that the so-called permit was not a valid mining licence”.

“It was only a no-objection letter from the Forestry Commission in response to a request by the Minister. It was not a mining permit. We began mining in the reserve regardless,” he stated.

Following the adoption of his statement as evidence-in-chief, counsel for the accused persons, led by Andy Appiah-Kubi, began cross-examining the witness”.

Watch the video below:

Verify Numbers on TrustGH