1,500 units of Saglemi housing to be completed by December 2027 – Mahama

0
24
Saglemi housing project

President John Dramani Mahama has assured that construction work at the previously abandoned Saglemi Housing Project would see an immense increase, with the developer expected to complete and commission 700 housing units by March next year and a total of 1,500 units by December next year.

Mahama visited the Saglemi Housing Project site on Thursday, August 20, 2026, to assess the current state of the project and progress towards its completion.

STOP THAT SCAMMER Verify Numbers on TrustGH

Speaking during his visit, Mahama stated, “This was a vision that was started by Professor Atta Mills, and I came to continue it. Unfortunately, when government changed hands, there were some legal issues and the new government said they wanted to investigate”.

“The project stalled, but the looters came in and stole everything: the cables, wash basins, fittings and electricals, and it was left with an empty shell,” he said.

“The developer said that 700 units by March 2027 will be able to be commissioned, and a total of 1,500 by December 2027,” he added.

Mahama further assured prospective homeowners to prepare to take advantage of the homes once the official registration process begins.

“When the portal is open, those who want to move to the beautiful home should register,” he said.

Also, the Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of LMI Holdings, the property developer, Kojo Aduhene, disclosed that critical infrastructure works were ongoing across the estate.

“We’re doing all the underground cabling, clearing the weeds, and water will not be a problem because we’ve got a water plant ready in the Dawa Industrial Area and it’s enough to supply water for all the units,” Mr Aduhene said.

Kojo Aduhene also disclosed that the estate would be equipped with internet connectivity to ensure that residents have access to essential digital services.

The development comes on the heels of Samuel Atta Akyea, the former Works and Housing Minister, saying the Saglemi Housing Project is an embarrassment to Ghana.

According to Atta Akyea, Ghana secured a US$200 million loan to construct 5,000 housing units but has now turned into a white elephant.

He further disclosed that he expected President Mahama to fix Saglemi in his second term.

Speaking on Raw with Roselyn, Samuel Atta Akyea stated, “It is an embarrassment to this great nation of ours. We got a loan of US$200 million to construct 5,000 housing units, and now it’s a white elephant. Some people have invaded the space, taken away some infrastructure and messed up the place”.

“So I thought that when we couldn’t complete Saglemi, which was also an NDC project, that should have been the priority of the second-term King and President Mahama.

“I thought he would say that this project has become a mess, and now that God has given me a second chance, I will go and fix it.

“They are still playing with it and talking about a foreign investor coming to continue from where they left off — a lot of circular arguments that I don’t understand.

“If you get an investor in, what is it going to be like? Then it ceases to be affordable housing because they are profit-oriented. People can’t afford it, and that’s going to be a reversal of our fortunes,” he said.

Background

The Saglemi Housing Project, which was initiated under the NDC government in 2012 with a $200 million loan, was designed to deliver 5,000 residential units to help bridge the country’s housing deficit.

The project stalled due to funding irregularities, contractual controversies, and legal disputes, leaving about 1,506 units partially completed and deteriorating.

According to reports, the Saglemi Housing Project was originally planned to deliver 5000 affordable housing units at US$200 million.

However, with about US$195.85 million, representing 98% of the project funds, spent on the project as it currently stands at the site today.

Technical assessment by the Ghana Institution of Surveyors valued the work on the ground at only US$64.98 million, although almost US$196 million had been spent.

Despite the US$196 million already spent, the site has no functional sewerage system, no storm drainage and other critical infrastructure, making the houses effectively uninhabitable. It is estimated that a further sum of US$114 million will be required to complete the project.

Watch the video below:

@ghnow_ Who caused the losses to BoG in 2022, 2023 and 2024 – Sammy Gyamfi to Afenyo Markin #GHnow #Fyp ♬ original sound – GHnow
@ghnow_ The Youth must rise up, we must know who we are – Raph #GHnow #Fyp ♬ original sound – GHnow

Verify Numbers on TrustGH