“It is time for Ghana to wake up!” – Kwesi Pratt on Burkina Faso terrorist attack on Ghanaian tomato traders

0
18
Kwesi Pratt

Kwesi Pratt Jnr, a Veteran journalist and Managing Editor of the Insight newspaper, has said news about Ghanaian Tomato traders killed in a terrorist attack in Titao, northern Burkina Faso, immediately raises several questions.

According to Kwesi Pratt, it is time for Ghana to wake.

The Veteran journalist questioned how a tropical country like Ghana, with all its favourable conditions, depends on Burkina Faso for tomatoes.

He further questioned how Ghana has watched on as terrorists wreak havoc in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger when Ghana can also be a target.

In a social media post, Kwesi Pratt wrote, “Some press reports say that seven Ghanaian tomato traders have been killed in a terrorist attack in Burkina Faso.

This immediately raises a number of questions.

How come that a tropical country like Ghana, with all the favourable conditions for tomato production, has become dependent on Burkina Faso for the supply of the vegetable?

Why have we sat back and watched terrorists wreak havoc in Burkina Faso, Mali and Niger, knowing fully well that the more successful they get in the Sahel, the more likely it is that we will become their targets?

Why has Ghana not taken action against the foreign governments which have been providing weapons and intelligence to the terrorists in the Sahel?

Is Ghana not aware of the fact that Western military bases in the sub-region are being used to supply the terrorists?

It is time for Ghana to wake up!”.

Some Ghanaians reacting to Kwasi Pratt’s post stated, “The problem with the AES is isolating themselves and thinking they can survive on their own. With cooperation with other govt within the ECOWAS, they can mount effective diplomatic pressure on other members to support them in their fight against this insurgency. We need each other”.

Another X user added, “Kwasi, some of those foreign forces recently left Ghana after a ‘disguised’ jungle warfare training. We all know foreign mercenaries based in Côte d’Ivoire mostly are behind these attacks. Our weakest link is the north-western border with the Ivory Coast”.

One more X user added, “Come to Navrongo and see how people are doing dry season gardening of tomatoes,if the government deliberately support the farmers in upper east, we can produce more than 70 %of our vegetables, including tomatoes, pepper, irrigation and storage”.

Meanwhile, the Minister for the Interior, Muntaka Mubarak, has disclosed that the seven Ghanaian Tomato traders killed in a terrorist attack in Titao, northern Burkina Faso, have been laid to rest.

According to the Minister, the bodies of the deceased were burnt beyond recognition and had begun decomposing, which forced authorities to proceed with burial arrangements in Burkina Faso.

Speaking in an interview on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show on Monday, February 16, Muntaka Mubarak stated, “The seven bodies have been burnt beyond recognition. As at yesterday, we agreed they had begun decomposing and had to be buried”.

“So the Burkina Faso authorities told us [Ghanaians] that they would bury them at 10 a.m today. But our women who are not really injured can go and witness and take as many pictures as possible,” he added.

He added, “And the sad thing is that we lost seven of our men. Three of them got injured. One woman was critically injured, and others were not badly injured”.

Reports had earlier revealed that seven (7) Ghanaians have reportedly lost their lives in a terrorist attack on tomato traders in Titao, Burkina Faso, on Saturday, February 14, 2026.

All seven victims were Ghanaian male tomato buyers and the drivers of the trucks.

Alhaji Gbangbanku, a journalist who reported the attack on Saturday, revealed the terrorists spared the Ghanaian traders who were women.

The journalist shared the news before the Ministry of the Interior in a statement confirmed the attack on Sunday, February 15, 2026.

According to Alhaji Gbangbanku, the Islamist military group, JNIM, was responsible for the attack.

He further shared pictures of some of the traders who were killed and visuals from the scene of the incident showing vehicles set ablaze.

See the post below: